In 2019, I co-founded Koru Mindfulness LI with three colleagues. Koru Mindfulness is an evidence-based curriculum specifically designed for teaching mindfulness, meditation, and stress management to juniors and seniors in high school, college students, and adults.
Our Koru Basic course, which provides an introduction to mindfulness and meditation, is taught as a weekly, 75 to 90-minute class over four weeks by a Koru certified teacher. Classes meet via Zoom in a small group format. There is an accompanying book and free App that go with the course. Teachers provide guidance throughout the week via the Koru App. Research has shown that students who take Koru Basic feel calmer, sleep better, are more mindful and less likely to judge themselves harshly.
Koru Mindfulness is different from other mindfulness training programs:
- Mindfulness meditation, as well as stress-management skills, are taught
- A concise 4-session course to accommodate busy schedules
- Highly structured class with recommended 10 minutes daily mindfulness practice and mindfulness log which provides ongoing teacher support between sessions
- Taught in small groups that allow for a sense of connectedness
- Active teaching to address skepticism and build motivation
- Free use of Koru Mindfulness app to support and enhance one’s practice
- Classes taught by 4 experienced mental health professionals who bring years of clinical expertise and knowledge to their teachings
- Koru Alumni are invited to free one hour classes, which are offered several times throughout the year